Best Ever Maple Oat Nut Scones
For The Scones
- 1 cup oats (quick or old-fashioned)
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 5 tablespoons good maple syrup
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cold butter (small pieces)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup half-and-half or heavy cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons maple extract
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons good maple syrup
- 5 teaspoons half and half
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon maple extract
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Using a food processor or blender, finely grind oats.
- In a mixer, mix flour, oats, sugar (white and brown), salt and baking powder.
- Add maple syrup and butter and mix well.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg with the cream and maple extract.
- Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture and mix well.
- Add pecans and mix just to incorporate.
- Place dough on a floured surface. Knead and pat dough into a 8 to 10 inch circle and cut into 8 wedges.
- Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. Place wedges on top and bake for 13 to 15 minutes, or until light brown.
- Remove scones from oven to wire rack. Let cool about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Mix glaze ingredients until smooth. Adjust the amount of water to get to the desired consistency. I like the glaze to be rather thick. Spread lots of glaze over each scone and dry about 15 minutes before serving.
Prep/Cook Time: 50 minutes