Friday, January 11, 2008

Living Lebowski





















It's been particularly spare eating this week. I've been, as usual, too busy, too rushed, too pressured, too a lot of things. I don't prepare "real" dinner meals Monday through Friday, not for myself or anybody who lives with me, God bless them. We eat fruit or cereal or toast at night. Sometimes I'll have a glass of Cabernet Sauvignon and a chunk of smoked Gouda. It's always sufficient. It also seems completely practical to me; there's no rule that we have to eat huge platefuls of casserole each evening, is there?

But I digress. This week, because I've been eating sparingly, I decided that instead of a good Cab, I'd have one ice cold White Russian in the evening as my cocktail of choice. More filling, you see. I'd forgotten what a good drink it is. I can't drink them in large quantities; the milk and the sweet can be overpowering if consumed too enthusiastically. But every once in awhile, like this week, a White Russian is right up my alley. My grade: A+++

The Classic White Russian

2 ounces quality vodka, like Grey Goose or Effen
1 ounce Kahlua or coffee liqueur
Cream (or half-and-half, or milk)

Cheers!

No comments: