Thursday, April 17, 2008

It's the Pig, I swear

It's not that I haven't been cooking these past few weeks; au contraire, my friends. I've been cooking quite a lot! It's just that I've been cooking much of the same recipes you see here over and over and over again, though mainly pork. I guess you could call it a rut, and that's your prerogative, but I prefer to call it lots and lots of really rad slow cook pulled pork straight from Jesus.

I will concede, for the record, that my other recipe for pulled pork is more difficult and not nearly as tasty as the following very simple and delicious recipe:

Really Ridiculously Easy (And Darn Tasty) Slow Cooked Pork

Ingredients:

1 pork butt roast (no loin, no ribs, it says butt and hey, I mean butt), at least 4 pounds
1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup apple juice, unfiltered, organic
1 tsp Kosher salt
1/2 tsp coarsely ground black pepper

Directions:

Place roast in slow cooker, sprinkling it on all sides with Worcestershire sauce, then patting it down with brown sugar everywhere. Add salt and pepper. Pour apple juice down the sides of the cooker, not directly onto roast. Cook for 6 - 8 hrs on low.

And then eat, pray, love.

Hey don't look at me that way. I realize it's potentially "wrong" or "bad" in some medical way that we eat one entire pork butt per weekend but I swear, it's just a fad. Or maybe it's that we just really really really love the pig. Whatever it is, you'll pry this slow cooked loveliness from my cold dead hands.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Surely you jest... it cannot be that easy and THAT good. Can it? What did you serve on the side?

Crys said...

it really really is. i stuff the whole thing in there, slather it with sauce and sugar and sprinkle the other stuff, pour the juice, and voila, it's done in six hours.

i usually serve it with sticky rice and homemade bbq sauce, which is usually enough; other times i'll add baked beans.

i will say though that it's fab with a brown gravy and mashed potatoes. YUM. just YUM.

oh, and you're srs about spam and pineapple? i totally have Hawaii cookbooks from back in the day that have recipes...and on the net there's spam-and-pineapple fried rice which looks really rad.

i thought you were joking!